Peanut Sauce with Spinach, Sweet potatoes and Chickpeas
- Peanut Special Sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 Tbs. smooth natural peanut butter or natural Sunbutter
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, minced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 5-oz. pkg. fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- To make G-Nut Special Sauce: Combine broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, lemon juice and garlic in small pan, and simmer over low heat 1 to 2 minutes.
- Poke holes all over sweet potatoes with fork. Microwave on high 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft; let cool in microwave.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 4 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add chickpeas, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in spinach, reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Scoop sweet potato flesh into bowl, and mash with cumin, lemon juice, salt and turmeric.
- Ladle sweet potato mixture into two bowls. Top with chickpea-spinach mixture, and cover with G-Nut Special Sauce. Garnish with peanuts, and serve warm.
*Marie’s note: I used natural sunbutter and skipped the added peanuts. I also doubled the spinach and chickpeas just because we like a lot of veggies and Spinach really shrinks down. For anyone who likes sweet potato, this is the BEST! Note the servings and double/triple recipe accordingly.
Nutritional InformationPer SERVING: Calories: 475, Protein: 16g, Total fat: 19g, Saturated fat: 3g, Carbs: 60g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 804mg, Fiber: 14g, Sugars: 18g
From Vegetarian Times: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9946?section=