- 1 leek, washed and chopped (cut off 1/3 of green tops)
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, cleaned and sliced (gills removed)
- 1/2 cp sliced mushrooms (use either portobellos or buttons)
- 1 garlic, sliced thin
- 1/3 cp nutritional yeast
- 4 T whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour
- 1 cp vegetable broth (canned or homemade)
- 1 cp water
- 1/2 cp dry red wine (preferably burgundy)
- 1 T soy sauce
- 2 T chopped fresh Italian leaf parsley or 1 T dried parsley
- 2 T chopped fresh oregano or 1 T dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kitchen bouquet (a gravy browner)
- 2 T cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
In food processor, chop the leek, portobello cap and garlic. Saute the chopped mixture in a little red wine until soft. Add the sliced mushrooms to saute.
In another fry pan, gently toast the nutritional yeast and flour. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
In medium bowl, mix the veggie broth, water, red wine, kitchen bouquet, and soy sauce. Gently stir the yeast/flour mixture into the liquid ingredients. Make sure all ingredients are well blended.
Slowly add liquid ingredients to the sauteed leek/musrhooms and garlic. Cook on medium heat till ingredients come to a simmer. Then add the herbs and seasonings while simmering. Taste for additional seasoning.
Mix 2 T cornstarch in a little water, and add to simmering pot till gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
This gravy goes well over mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, rice or over whole wheat pasta. Tastes great with ‘faux’ meatballs drenched in this yummy mushroom gravy.