Tempeh and Potato Breakfast Patties
Steaming tempeh helps soften the soybeans it’s made of so that the protein-rich cakes absorb more flavor.
Makes 8 patties
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh
- 1/3 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain and cool. Meanwhile, cut tempeh in half, and steam in steamer 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Pulse tempeh in food processor until coarsely ground. Transfer to large bowl, and stir in potatoes, flour, chives, soy sauce, rosemary, garlic, thyme, sage and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Shape mixture into 2-inch balls. Press into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Brush with olive oil, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, then brush again with olive oil, flip with spatula, and brush with olive oil. Bake 10 minutes more, or until both sides are browned.
Per SERVING: Calories: 141, Protein: 7g, Total fat: 7g, Saturated fat: 1g, Carbs: 15g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 211mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g