Here it is, folks. If you’ve joined us at Square Inch Community, you’ve tasted it. This is now our bread at home. we love it. I always choose to make it 100% whole grain. If you have issues with Gluten, please make sure you use certified gluten-free oats. And, if you are a no-honey vegan, feel free to substitute with agave nectar. I double this recipe every week and never come home with left-overs.
Marie’s Vegan Honey Oat Gluten Free Bread (1 loaf)
2 tsp. Xantham gum
1 ¼ cup GLUTEN FREE oat flour (blend gluten-free oats in blender to make flour – or buy)
1 ¼ cup GLUTEN FREE brown rice flour
½ cup potato starch (not potato flour) – or you can add another ½ cup oat flour to make it a 100% whole grain bread. This is how I do the communion bread
1 tsp. salt
1 ¼ cup warm to almost hot water
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 pkg. Hodgsons mills yeast for whole grain bread
1 chia seed “egg” – 1 tbsp. ground chia seed to ¼ cup water – let sit a few minutes
1 egg substitute – 3 ½ tbsp water + ½ tbsp vinegar + 1 tsp. baking powder
This recipe is best done with the dough hook and a kitchen aid mixer. If you do not have one, you’ll have to stir/mix for a long time to get it to the right consistency.
- Mix yeast, warm water, honey and oil together gently. Let proof.
- Mix flours, potato starch (If using), Xantham gum and salt together with a wisk.
- Make your egg substitute and then your chia egg and let it sit for a few minutes
- Add chia egg to your yeast and stir gently.
- Add flours and egg substitute to your yeast mix and turn on mixer. Let mix for 3-4 minutes, periodically scraping sides. The dough should be gloppy –not like gluten dough – almost like a just barely too floury banana bread or a too wet gluten bread dough.
- Let rise in greased (spray with oil) covered bowl in warm place for 1 hour. I also lightly spray the bread dough.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Put bread into oiled loaf pan, cover, spray with oil, and let rise until oven is preheated or for about 20 minutes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Turn bread out and place back in oven to bake out of the pan for another 5 minutes (this is optional, but I like a crispy crust). Should sound hollow when tapped if it is done.
*I use glass pans. You may be able to bake it a little less long in a metal pan. Play around with baking time if you use a metal pan. *